Saturday, February 06, 2010

Isla de la Plata

Isla de la Plata is an island about 40K offshore from Puerto Lopez.  It's part of a national park, and has protected nesting areas for a number of seabirds, including blue-footed, red-footed, and Nazca boobies.  We had a great trip there yesterday.   We took a 4 1/2 mile hike and got to see all our target birds.  The weather was overcast, which was great.  The terrain is very hilly and the plant cover is pretty scrubby, so less sun meant less heat.  The boobies were on the nest, some with eggs, some with babies, very adorable.

The fishing boats had just come in as we were waiting for our tour boat.


red-footed booby

blue-footed booby

red-billed tropicbird

nazca booby with eggs

When the boat came into the island to pick us up again, a sudden wave pushed it sideways onto shore so everyone had to help push it back out.

1 comment:

sonderfan@sbcglobal.net said...

beautiful, interesting, fun - and I am sitting here oohing and ahhing over two deer right outside our porch. I can't tell if they are blue-footed or red-footed, but I am happy. No regrets over not going to FL - they haven't been having excellent weather - so I think we are going to SC for a couple of days of golf . . . after Dick's birthday (party). Stay safe and enjoy