Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Lord God Bird

We left early Friday morning for Austin and stopped overnight in Brinkley, Arkansas. As we rolled into town there was a big sign reading, "Home of the Ivory-billed Woodpecker." We had to check that out of course. So we called our friend Cookie who said, "Yes, you're right near where it's been seen. Check out where Hwy. 17 crosses the Cache River."

So the next morning we headed up to the Cache River. To our amazement and delight we easily spotted the bird--see the proof below. We're not telling the ornithology world though, we don't want the fame and fortune that would go with that.





In case you're wondering about the title, Wikipedia explains: "The Ivory-billed Woodpecker is sometimes referred to as the Grail Bird, the Lord God Bird, or the Good God Bird, all based on the exclamations of awed onlookers. Other nicknames for the bird are King of the Woodpeckers and Elvis in Feathers."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Phew, that phone call sure got my heart racing.
Since I know I'm going to heaven when I die, while on earth I want so badly to see that "great chieftain of the woodpecker tribe" J.J.Audubon
Cookie