Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Adventure books

It is another sunny but cool morning here in Gulf Port. This is our last full day here before we head up to Columbia where we will be for the next 2 ½ weeks.

We have been asked what books we are reading. Several years ago I clipped an article from Outside magazine which listed the 25 best adventure books ever written. Some I had already read but now have set a goal of reading the 12 that I haven't read yet. So I am about 200 pages into a book written in the 1980's by an Englishman who had read about Huck Finn and the Mississippi when he was a child. The book, Old Glory, recounts his journey in a 16-foot motorboat down the Mississippi from Minnesota to the Gulf. At this point in the book he is still up in the Midwest, but I think he will be writing about towns along the Mississippi that are close to where we are. I just finished the Jon Krakauer book, Into the Wild, about a young man who lost his life trying to live off the land in Alaska. Carrie just finished that book and is now reading Tracks, a Woman’s Solo Trek Across 1,700 Miles of Australian Outback. If you are interested to the Outside list you can cut and paste the link below

http://outside.away.com/outside/features/200301/200301_adventure_canon_2.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, should you be reading adventrue books or something to settle you down a bit?
Nice to read of your trip.
Best wishes and love,
A/M